Thursday, June 18, 2009

"Don't you wish it could go forever...."

Bubba came to visit us! Yeah! Bubba is my youngest brother who lives in CA who comes to see us when he's fed up with my nagging him. What can I say? I love spending time with him. Here are some photos of us at Discoveryland, USA...more on that in a sec.
But first, I can't begin to tell you how funny it is that we moved here to Oklahoma. I think I may have mentioned this before....but "Oklahoma" the musical was one of my most favorite movies all growing up (also on honorable mention: Grease, Pirates of Penzance, Footloose, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). My brothers and sister and I watched these movies over and over again. We knew the words to the songs and would dance along with the music and characters.
So- now that I am an official Oakie adoptee ...I was eager to pay a visit to Discoveryland, USA, "The National home of Rodger's and Hammerstein's Oklahoma!"
I was really excited to see the production live in an outdoor amphitheater. This place was actually a huge farm/ranch about 15 minutes away from Tulsa in a tiny city called Sand Springs. The grounds were beautiful!! The cast was great. And I loved that they incorporated real horses in almost every scene they'd be galloping across the stage. We were treated to a real "cowboy dinner" which had the tastiest baked beans I have ever had in my life- honest! The only down side was the suffocating humidity and constant swatting of bugs.....or the would be bugs..the phantom bugs you keep swatting at because you hear them everywhere...but there isn't actually one on you. yeah that.
Thanks for taking me Bubba!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing could be more fun than to travel back in time to those cherished moments of your childhood. How special to repeat it with Matthew many years later. Good company, good entertainment and good food besides.
I can remember, too, musicals such as "Oklahoma" sung and rehearsed in our youth. Your Grandma and Grandpa instilled in us the love of good music and entertainment. Ask your Dad about the time we sang,"High Hopes" or better remembered as "Once there was a little ol' ant. . . "