Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Huckleberry Fin

So I sat down at my computer about 2 weeks ago and got a surprising email from my brother Nathan.......he was coming to visit me and would be arriving in 3 hours! I was shocked and elated. I haven't seen my brother Nathan since Wesley was 2 weeks old (and he will be 3 this December).
After the shock wore off I immediately thought- oh gosh I have to plan something to do with him that involves nature- like go fishing, hunting, or boating. My brother is a Marine for one, and in addition to that he is the biggest outdoor enthusiast you'll ever meet. So within minutes of getting the email I made reservations for our crew (my family, my sister, mom and brother) to go rafting down the Illinois River. So here's a pic of me, Moms, my sister and the kids rocking our life jackets, and "floating" down the river.
Everyone was pretty excited about it- can you tell??
My sister Marissa and brother Nathan...paddling at the head of the raft.

When we got to the cabin to rent the raft, we mentioned in passing about all the "river rats" that were around (meaning people who go to the river all the time for recreation).
Fast forward an hour into the trip....we've pulled the raft off to the side of a bank to let everyone out to wade in the water. Sienna jumps into the water and starts swimming, and pretty soon fellow rafters/
canoers float on by us.
With a smile stretched from ear to ear, and bobbing up and down in the water like a fishing lure, Sienna calls out to them excitedly,
" I"M A RIVER RAT!!! " "I'M A RIVER RAT !!" And proceeds to tell everyone else we pass on the river till we got home.

2 comments:

The Herberts said...

What an awesome surprise! Looks like you had a FAB time! Siena's little personality is SO cute! Miss you guys!!

Amy said...

You have one great family!!! No matter where you are in the country the will fly across the world to be with you! Looks like a lot of fun.