Friday, October 9, 2009

Beautiful Day

I have an agenda for every day of the week. I know what I want the kids to do. And I know what I don't want the kids to do. And sadly, for the most part, I'm not very concerned with what they want to do.
I couldn't help but wonder.......
what would it be like,
if for one day, I let Wesley choose what we do.
I wouldn't try to limit his choices, or steer him in a direction more to my liking.
I wouldn't worry about the time.
I wouldn't care if he got dirty or wet.
And I wouldn't rush him.
I'd let him be.
Wesley wanted to go to the park.
The "squirrel park" to be exact.
We fed the ducks. Wesley chased the ducks.
Wesley dug holes and threw rocks in the pond.
We looked at leaves and ant holes.
Wesley chased the squirrels.
Then we ate snacks on a bench and watched the geese preen.
And I enjoyed every minute of it.

I tell you guys it was liberating.
I can't think of a time I've loved him or enjoyed him more.

But I can't be this selfless every day- I'm no saint....
but my goodness,
what a beautiful day.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Motherhood adorns you beautifully, Jessica. So insightful of you! There's a moment in time you are learning to love life ... we learn it best, don't you agree, when engaged in play with our children?

On the other hand, I suppose they, too, learn from us. What messages do we send them about loving life?

Amy said...

I can't tell you how much I love this idea. I don't know how many time a day I tell Fin to hurry UP! She is probably as sick of hearing it as I am of saying it.

Mom said...

What a beautiful post.! You described it so well, I felt I was right there with you, being privileged to share in the moment.

Thanks for sharing your day so beautifully. It made me feel once again, the joy of being a mom.
Love,
mom

Mike Ball said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day! Sounds very pleasant and brings back memories of nice days and fun with kids! Thanks!

Oh what a beautiful day!
It beckons one to stay
To have fun in the sun
...enjoy everyone
Simply to do what we may.

My employer should see it that way
All I want to do is go play
Have a little fun
my day in the sun
Wouldn't that be a beautiful day?!

But alas he says, "No!"
"Sorry, you can't go!
In the salt mine you'll stay
with the work gang today
Till summer sun becomes winter snow!"

So ... back to work I go
Secretly thinking past the snow
For my day will come
I'll be in the sun
Then my face will glow! ;-)

Have a good day...every day!

Julia said...

LOVE it! Your kids are so cute. Wasn't it just yesterday I would come over and sew while Sienna napped?! Now she is sooo old! Wow. Miss you and glad things are good! xoxo

Unknown said...

Great Post. Thank you for sharing


fashion jewelry wholesale
wholesale jewelry
wholesale fashion jewelry