Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Letter

When I was dating Nathan and things were getting serious, I wrote my Grandma a letter to tell her about this boy. I was absolutely freaking out about whether to get engaged to Nathan and head down that path toward marriage or if I should let "this one go." I was petrified of getting married. I didn't want anything to do with it (for awhile-I was only 22). But I had this sinking feeling that I'd never come across someone like Nathan again. So simply, this was my dilemma.
My Grandma wrote back to me and told me that if the main purpose in life was to come to Earth to be sealed and have our own family, than the most important question I had to ask myself was, "What kind of father would he be?"
It seems so simple and obvious to me now....but at the time it was the most profound advice I received from anyone on the matter. That's when I knew. When Grandma put it that way, the answer was obvious. That's the moment I decided to marry Nathan.
I could feel it. I could see it and deep in my heart I knew it. I knew that Nathan would be the most amazing, loving, most wonderful, huggable, get down on your hands and knees "play-with-me" Dad.
And he is.
Thank you Grandma.
It doesn't get any better than Nathan.
Happy Father's Day honey- we love you more than words can say.

1 comment:

Nettie said...

If I could have what you just described, I would be married. Your grandpas words were such a gift. Your posts are such wonderful tributes to the men in your life. I really loved reading them...and I love your honesty and realness. You really are a jewel.