Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lucky Number 7

Exactly 7 years ago....on August 4th Nathan and I were married in the Temple. I will say this, I am so glad we were friends first.

We got to know each other as friends and had a great Spring and Summer together. He ran mundane errands with me, we did homework together, and we talked on the phone almost everyday. He and his roommates were very protective of me and my roommates- almost like older brothers.

But things took a different turn in the Fall. We started dating and things were too good too fast. Every time I could see the altar in my horizon I'd bolt. But Nathan was so good to me, so thoughtful, and romantic. We dined on tuna sandwiches, top ramen and cereal. We were poor and young and in love.

We have been through a lot....but there hasn't been a day,where I haven't thanked Heavenly Father for Nathan and our marriage. He is the best- or maybe just the best for me. I love our relationship together and feel we have a rock solid marriage. I think we are very lucky. How can we be married for so many years and still be so in love?

So, I saw this on someone else's blog. It's a list of quirky, or interesting things about your marriage. So in our case, I had to come up with 7 things....at first it was hard and then it was so easy I came up with 17!

1. We were married exactly 5 weeks when 9/11 happened
2. We've lived in UT, CA, SC, and AZ
3. We moved 8 times in 7 years (yup, that's right folks)
4. We both worked as servers at an Italian restaurant in Provo
5. Been kicked out of our apt mid-semester (to make room for a favorite grandchild!)
6. We weren't able to watch each other graduate from BYU because our ceremonies were on the same day and time
7. We've driven across the country in our Kia Sephia (it took 4 days)
8. Longest we've been away from each other was 16 days (I was in Europe with family while he trained for work in Georgia)
9. We went to Mexico for our honeymoon
10. Celebrated our first anniversary in North Carolina (lived in SC for an internship)
11. Lived in a 495 sq. foot apt. (the living room was the bedroom with a bed that dropped out of a closet that bumped into our coffee table that butted up to couch that hit the wall)
12. Our first day back at school after our wedding and honeymoon we cried- it would be our first day we'd be without each other (it's true honey, don't deny it- I remember where we were)
13. We've flown over the ocean in a helicopter to Catalina Island
14. Had our 1st car rear-ended and totaled after only 5 days of owning it (enter dumpy Kia)
15. Favorite weekend get-a-way was to South Beach, Miami (reward for winning a work competition)
16. We were married in the Oakland, CA Temple
17. We've kissed on top of a volcano

These are probably just as surprising and interesting to Nathan since he forgets everything!! I love you honey- Happy Anniversary

4 comments:

Maren n' Mark said...

Thats so sweet, I think amidst all life's quirks and misshaps, an eternal marriage can be grounding force for families today. I think being friends first is always good ground work for making a marriage last. I also think that by dating weekly you have managed to keep the romance and love alive, which will help you through anything life puts in your path. Love you guys, Congrats, our 7 years is still 7 months away.

The Herberts said...

How sweet of a post! We just hit our 7th anniversary, as well, in June. Congrats! Congrats!

Tina Upson said...

Hey lady.....so pics soon!!! Maybe somewhere more urban then country?? Who knows though with the tutudresses?? Might be best at a place like pecans......let me know!!! Thanks for coming last night I had a blast!!!

Tina Upson said...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=cat3_gallery_9&listing_id=14017608

Here is the link for the dresses I am doing paiges has a red flower with black tulle and Hailey's a cream flower with brown tulle