Friday, August 8, 2008

Silver Lining


These moments were the "silver lining" in this month......
The first was the moment when Nathan was reading Wesley a book and Wesley pointed to a picture and said, "Jesus." Melt my heart! I taught him that!! A few days earlier Wesley and I had been looking at a different book filled with pictures of Jesus. And each time we saw Him I would hold Wesley's little finger and tap the picture and say "Jesus. Jesus." Knowing that I taught him something so special makes all the suffering these last few weeks worth while.
The other moment was when Nathan was speeding reading the Book of Mormon to Sienna before the bus came. He was reading to her the story about the 2,000 Stripling Warriors and talked about how the sons learned about faith from their mothers. And Sienna said, "Like Mommy teaches me!!". Nathan looked surprised and I felt a surge of pride- ok a lot of pride. I had just talked to her about faith the day before. What do you know? Some things do sink in. I don't want to seem like I'm bragging...all I'm saying is that instead of feeling like the worst mother in the world....remembering these moments made me feel like a RockStar!

But the moment that takes the cake....maybe the best moments of this year happened at church a few weeks ago. During Sacrament meeting our ward choir sang a beautiful song that was a combination of 3-4 other songs put together. I could feel the Spirit within seconds of it beginning. It was so moving, so touching, and so profound.
Sienna was nestled between Nathan and my arms and we could both sense that she was feeling the Spirit too. It was the first time. She had this dreamy look on her face, and her eyes were filled with tears, and she just took turns looking up and Nathan and I smiling and hugging us. We held her and stroked her face. It was so apparent that she was feeling something but didn't know how to express it in words. I can't explain in words how it felt for us....but it was the most beautiful, sweet, tender moments of this year-to watch my sweet daughter feel the Spirit for the first time.



A very cute picture considering their dangerously close proximity to each other

Flowers delivered to me from Bubba (my brother Matt) "just because"


A very sleepy Sienna going back to school


Ummmm, just because it cracks me up



Posted by PicasaSienna surprising me with one of her latest creations- a "Girl Tie" which has Disney Princess stickers on it (also made a custom design girl tie for Aunt SuSu)


2 comments:

Nettie said...

I loved reading this. I was just telling a friend...okay, anyone who would listen...that this was, perhaps, the worst Summer in history. I can't even begin to describe the behavior that has surged between the walls of my home...mine included. It's validating to read of someone elses frustration and know that I'm not going to hell because I wanted to slip out in the night and leave a note on my front door, bequeathing my children to the first lucky knocker.

Hey, I've been wanting to make you a Sunday music cd. You never answered my email about your taste. Let me know.

Lastly...I loved the post about Sienna in church. Isn't music powerful???

Jessica...I just think you are pretty wonderful.

FRYER FAM said...

Jess. these are so fun. i enjoy seeing what is going on. ours is the fryer fam.