Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sleeping Beauty

A few weeks ago I saw an ad in a magazine that announced the Tulsa Ballet Company would perform, "Sleeping Beauty" over Valentine's weekend. I read on and learned that "Sleeping Beauty" is the most technically difficult ballet of all. How fun to watch! At first I thought Nathan and I would take Sienna as a very special date....but soon remembered he would be out of town.
So instead, Sienna and I had a special Mommy Daughter date.




Here is a sliver of the downtown Tulsa skyline at night. It was bitter, bitter cold that night and Sienna was in no mood to walk around and explore. Stinker. So I got a picture of her in the grand parking lot with her head turned. Anyway, she was a good sport about taking pictures in the comfort of our cozy car- hence the picture below.
It was so fun to dress up for the opening night performance. Sigh. I rarely, rarely get a chance to dress up (outside of church-y stuff) so I was over the moon to find an amazing plum-colored cocktail dress for 70
% percent off. Ya hoo! The dress was a tad too big so my sweet neighbors (elderly sisters) took in the dress just in time for the show. And I got to wear ridiculously fancy earrings I've never worn and I felt like Cinderella!


But I barely survived 60 minutes of the 2 1/2 hour performance with Sienna. She put on her own performance of sorts......she starred as -The Annoying Child-
The one who keeps talking, keeps moving, keeps asking what's going to happen next, keeps changing positions, keeps looking at you, keeps sighing, keeps asking for food, and keeps asking when it will be over. Yeah....that one.
We unceremoniously slipped out during intermission. I had a hunch Sienna was not getting an encore.
Sigh. I guess I should wait till she's older.
But what I did see of the performance was gorgeous, with stunning ornate costumes,with beautiful props, and very talented, other-worldly dancers.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jessica,
You look stunning in that plum color! Would love to see the entire dress. How lucky to have a fairy godmother fix your dress just in the nick of time. Yes, it certainly is a good feeling to dress up and feel like a royalty.

Unknown said...

Do animals wear clothes? Do gazelles or monkeys sit in chairs? It is no surprise to me that Sienna was figity. What...no such word in spell check? My mother used that word often in reference to our ability to sit still. Well, there you have it...it's in the gene pool. Sienna has more moves than a can of worms but at a much faster pace. So sorry you had to leave early and have your expectations crushed. Oh well, live and learn

Amy said...

Sounds just like I would imagine a performance going with my youngster. At least you looked great!

Roney Family said...

Im so glad that you were able to do that with her! You two are both stunning!

Unknown said...

Great Post. Thank you for sharing


fashion jewelry wholesalewholesale jewelry
wholesale fashion jewelry