Friday, November 21, 2008

Girl's Night

What a crazy fun night! Last night a group of us went to see the Midnight Premiere of the movie Twilight- it was kind of a last hurrah for my friend Tina (the super cute mama in black on the far right) before she moves out of state. We had a ton of fun. I had serious doubts that I could stay awake and watch a movie from 12 am to 2 am and had even greater doubts as I yawned while driving to meet Tina at 7:45.

The plans were to have a nice dinner and then head to the theaters to wait in line. What we didn't plan for was die hard fans to be waiting in line at 9 am.....for the midnight showing! We ended up waiting outside for about 1 hour, and then another 1 1/2 inside the theater before the show started. Inside was mayhem. There was confusion about which theater to be in, scrambling to get seats for your group, and of course fighting over saving seats. And to top it all off, I don't think the A/C ever kicked on. At one point a theater employee told everyone that every open seat was fair game. Yikes- bodies started moving left and right. Two of our girls were in the restroom so it looked like we had empty seats. Things got tense when a teeny-bopper grabbed one of our seats and refused to look at us or listen to what we said about our friends. With a crew of tired, hot, moms.....vampires weren't the only things about to go flying across the screen.
Posted by PicasaWhat might have been the most fun part was seeing all the frenzy and excitement leading up to the movies beginning. There were girls after girls getting up in front of the audience introducing themselves, and their clubs, web sites, affiliations, etc. They each had their own promotional goodies to toss out to the crowds. It was like being at a college football game. The goodie bags had stickers, buttons, candy etc. There were "Cullenscicles", which were laminated cut-out photos of the cast, glued onto Popsicles sticks. There were "Hyperventilating Bags" (which were brown paper bags) one club handed out to every girl in the audience to use when she'd see Edward Cullen for the first time. Pretty cute. So here's a picture of us using our bags....(although my use of it looks more reminiscent of my barfing bags of days gone by)
My review:
I'm a real late bloomer when it comes to Pop Culture...(I just barely saw "Hairspray" and I didn't like it. And I have never seen any of the High School Musical movies- I know blasphemy in American culture). I'm just not big on blindly following the masses- I am very picky about how I use my free time. That said, I was very apprehensive to start reading books about a vampire love story...are you serious? I am the last person who would read something about vampires. So I waited and waited a long time to read them. I finally gave in and read the first out of morbid curiosity (no pun intended). It couldn't really be as good as people claim..........right?
Well, it was. "Twilight" is an amazing book- I have never read anything like it. There were points that I would forget to breathe. The book is perfection. So for me, the movie does not do the book justice...not by a long shot. However, Edward is pretty hot, and there are some memorable minutes....so it's still worth watching.....just don't forget to breathe.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

That's really funny! I can't believe that there was that much interest in the movie! What a fun memory! I want to see the movie, but James isn't into it. Looks like I'll have to plan a girls night out like you.

texas_princess1109 said...

Awesome post Jessica! I went to the midnight show also. It was crazy! I'm glad you liked it and had fun!

Laura

Roney Family said...

I am glad you had a good time. Love the pictures. Our group laughed our butts off. I wish it could have been way way better. I mean, they threw cheesy lines in there. Where did Spider Monkey come from. I was so sad about it. But hey, maybe they will do better with the second. I am glad you read the book. It's my favorite!!!!! Miss you friend!